The Latest News from Santa Monica Yoga
- Free Info Session - Sunday, May 17, 10:00-11:00 am Register Here
- New Start Date - Training Begins June 26, Early-bird registration deadline May 29
- Yoga Alliance Approved 200-hour, 6-month Program
- More info here
Question and Answer interview with teacher trainer Nancy Goodstein:
Q: Is the teacher training program only for someone who wants to teach?
A: The title, “Teacher Training” is a bit limiting. The course is neither cookie-cutter nor simply technical. It is a 6 month intensive from which people regularly emerge saying, "that was life-changing!”
Q: I imagine you spend a lot of time doing yoga, what else goes on?
A: You learn yoga form so deeply that you become your own teacher, keeping your self both safe and pushed to your potential. You learn communication on multiple levels, giving and receiving, energetically, visually, and verbally. You learn about your boundaries, emotionally and physically -- where they bind you and where they free you.
Q: What about "deeper meaning" of yoga?
A: You learn the basics of classical texts that are the underpinning of the philosophy of yoga, so that you can understand and benefit from your practice in ways that you may have not known you could.
Q: What if I am not "good" at the poses?
A: The poses are not yoga. The study of them is a method to doing yoga. The Yoga Sutras teach us that yoga is the stilling of the mind that we may know our true selves.
Q: So who is ready to do a "Teacher Training"?
A: If you’ve been practicing yoga regularly for at least a year we invite you to find out more. The most important thing is that you have an interest in using the science of yoga as a method for understanding yourself and the path you take in life.
Santa Monica's Yoga schedule is updated every 6 months. Our next schedule update is for March 2 to September 7. Printed schedules will be available soon.
Here are the updated or new classes for this schedule, listed by day:
- 8:00-9:15 am Level 1-2 will be taught by Daniel Gould (previously taught by Nathalie Kramer)
- 4:00-5:15 pm All Levels Flow new class taught by Courtney Russell
- 8:30-9:30 am Pilates Level 1-2 with Rani Bechar, start time changes from 7:30 am to 8:30 am
- 6:00-7:30 pm Level 1 with Indira Shekerjian, level changes from 1-2 to 1, also Wednesday
- 9:15-10:15 am Pilates Level 2 with Laura Gideon, level changes from 2-3 to 2, also Thursday
- 3:30-4:45 pm Level 1/Gentle & Therapuetic with Sonya Chapnick, adds Yoga Nidra (a guided meditation practice) to end of class
- 6:00-7:30 pm Level 1 will be taught by Carol Senecal (previously taught by Allison McCready), also Thursday
- 7:45-8:45 pm Slow Deep Stretch will be taught by Elena Limanni (previously taught by Carol Senecal), also Thursday
Wednesday - see Monday
Thursday - see Tuesday, also:
- 10:30-12:00 pm Level 1/ Gentle & Therapeutic with Joyce Dvoren, adds Yoga Nidra (a guided meditation practice) to end of class, and 15 minutes added to class length
- 9:00-10:30 am All Levels Contemplative will now be taught by Indira Shekerjian (previously taught by Kyra Haglund)
- 11:15-12:30 pm Level 1 with Indira Shekerjian, start time was 11:00 am, is now 11:15 am